Fish Art Contest
The ART of Conservation
Wonders of Wildlife is the Missouri host for the Wildlife Forever Fish Art Contest
The Fish Art Contest was inspired in 1997 by a 5th grader’s homework assignment and has grown into an international competition introducing young people to the wonders of fish, the joy of fishing and the importance of aquatic conservation. The Fish Art Contest uses art, science and creative writing to foster connections to the outdoors and inspire the next generation of stewards.
What is the Fish Art Contest
The Fish Art Contest is open to all youth in grades K-12 (ages 5-18). To compete, participants will submit an entry consisting of a completed entry form, an original illustration of a fish from the Official Fish List and a one-page creative writing submission (required for grades 4-12). The contest deadline is March 31st each year.
How to Enter the Fish Art Contest
The 2021 contest is closed.
- Step 1) With an adult, review the Rules & Guidelines for the 2021 Contest
- Step 2) Select any species from the Official Fish List.
- Some species are eligible for special awards! Learn more about the Specialty Awards.
- Step 3) Utilize the Fish On! Lesson Plan, books, and reputable online resources to research your fish species. You may choose to print out the Guided Research Form to keep track of your findings.
- Step 4) Create your State-Fish Art Entry consisting of two parts:
An original HORIZONTAL illustration between 8.5″- 9″ tall and 11″- 12″ wide in size featuring a species from the Official Fish List.
A personally written essay (one side of one page) relating to the habitat conservation needs of your chosen fish species. Essays will be judged and awarded, but are not required, for contestants in Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade or from countries other than the USA.
- Step 5) Complete a contest Entry Form. Be sure to choose the Entry Form for your state, if applicable.
- Step 6) Submit your Entry.
- Option A (preferred): Mail your entry to the address listed at the top of your Entry Form before March 31st.
- Option B: Email scanned copies or photos of your entry to email@example.com.